Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Welcome golfers

  Just an introduction.
  My name is Lon Horwedel and for the past 15-years I've been a staff photographer at The Ann Arbor News.
  For the past three years I've also written a weekly column and last year I was the golf writer for The News.
  Why start a blog about golf?
  Well, last year I received such a positive response to both the golf course reviews and the feature stories that ran each week in The News, that it only made sense to continue. The only problem is this year, after 174-years in the business, The Ann Arbor News will cease publication in July. Many folks in the golf community have asked if I would continue writing. The answer is yes.
  This blog will pick up where I left off last year with course reviews and feature stories dealing with the local (southeast Michigan) golf scene.
  Why should I read your blog?
  With over 30-years of golfing experience, never worse than a 6 handicap, never better than a 1.6 (currently a 2) I'm a golfer who can relate to the good player as well as the novice.
  I'm a short hitter who plays nearly all of his golf solo, meaning I hook up with a lot of folks I don't know. 
  That's OK, I enjoy meeting people on the various links in the area, be they players, teaching pros, or even the average hacker. Whatever the skill level, I feel I can relate.
  I also play all my golf on foot so I get a real feel for a course and its design. 
  And since I'm a professional photographer,  you will benefit by seeing better than average photo galleries from the courses I review and the subjects I feature.
  Also, in the near future you will be able to access the archive I built up from last year's golf season.
  Starting next week, I'll kick off the season with Washtenaw Country Club, a private course in Ypsilanti.
  The feature on WCC will include both a course review as well as an interview with their new pro John Myers dealing with the odd situation the club has found itself in due to our lovely economy.  
  Stay tuned -
Lon

No comments:

Post a Comment